Friday, September 13, 2013

Day of the City!

The first weekend in September is a holiday that celebrates just how awesome Moscow is. There were concerts, activities, and events going on throughout the city. I visited two parks, Park Gorky and Poklonnaya Hill, on which Park Victory sits.  
Park Gorky was beautiful as usual. There is always a lot to do there, but even more so today. We saw  an acapella group and dancing. The dancing was great, it was just a crowd of random people being led by one older man. Plus one teenager who was hip-hop dancing to her own ipod. Each to their own, I suppose.
As the sun was setting, we walked down to the river, where the view was gorgeous, of course. On our way out of the park, we bought some cotton candy which we didn't finish, for two reasons. First of all, it was banana flavored, which is disgusting. Second, it got wet. This happened when a drunk couple very intensely asked me when I bought the cotton candy, and while I was answering, they got way too close. It brushed up against the huge panda plushie she was holding, which was apparently damp. It also got all over my pants, jacket, and glasses. Hardened sugar is not easy to get off.









The next day, Danielle and I went to a vegetarian restaurant, one of three in the entire city. It was excellent, just amazing. Danielle got a burrito and I got a sort of cheesy lentil stew. It was honestly the tastiest thing I've eaten so far in Moscow. Definitely going back here!
So good!
After dinner, we headed to Victory Park, which is at the highest point in the city and has just an overwhelming sprawling feeling to it. The park celebrates Russia's victory in WWII and has a was museum on site. I went to the museum last year and don't plan to revisit it. Such a serious topic hit me hard enough the first time, the second time would just be too much.
We drank mulled wine in the park, walked around, and watched in bemusement all the marching policemen. I understand why there were some there, to provide security for light show, but there must have been at least 200! And you see crowds and clusters of police all over the city, honestly, I've never seen so many in any other city.
The light show in the park was amazing. It was a sort of concert/pyrotechnic show/fireworks.








Really crazy, really awesome stuff. What a great way to end the summer!
Next post: Classes finally start!



No comments:

Post a Comment