Sunday, September 15, 2013

Classes + Daily Life

So last week was my first week of classes. It was rather hectic and confusing, but went well overall. I have classes on Russian Theater, Language in Mass Media, Russian Grammar, and Practical Discussion. I like everyone in my class, we're all starting to warm up and get to know each other. Hopefully, this coming week, we might go out to lunch together or something.

I will also be taking a class in the International Relations department, but understanding what classes are available continues to be a nightmare. I have a list of possible classes, but frankly none of them seem that appealing and I can't decipher when they take place, so I'm not even sure if they fit into my schedule.

I'm feeling quite settled in now and the strangest thing is just how normal it feel to be here. In the spring, we all had to go to a study abroad meeting, where they showed us a version of this graph...

But I don't feel that what this graph describes is really applying to me. Not "everything is new, interesting, and exciting"! Which is not to say I'm not happy and enjoying myself, because I certainly am.
I suppose because of my time here last summer I knew what to expect when it came to cultural differences. I'm hoping that since I'm not experiencing the study abroad "high", I won't experience the "low". Of course, time will only tell.

The only source of real frustration right now is that I feel deprived of my greatest source of stress-relief: cooking. I cook almost everyday for my family when I'm at home and when I'm on campus at Dickinson, I tend to cook an awful lot as well. But here, my host mom cooks for me, which is great and it's delicious but...
Sometimes, when I come home after class, I just want to have a grilled cheese with fruit, or a salad with goat cheese. But that isn't really possible, because dinner is already prepared. It's like living at home again, instead of on my own at college. Except my new "mom" doesn't really know what I like!
But then again, even as I'm writing this, I'm thinking of solutions to this "problem"! I definitely need to offer to make dinner some nights of the week.

Also, I haven't been super motivated to go places in Moscow, in my free time. I've seen a lot of the city before and I certainly don't feel as if I'm on vacation, so sight-seeing just isn't a priority. I'm so used to either being in my small college town or tiny hometown I have to constantly remind myself I actually have things to do here!

Anyway, this is all rather rambling. But it's where I'm at right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment